“Landscape sketched from memory, heavens and land entwine / Rapidly the scene is set, exquisitely divine. / Pine trees reaching tall and proud, like statues standing still. / There is no wind to speak of, more an icy winter chill.”
— Suzanne Bates
I began this blog post as a summary of the month, like I usually do. But three or four sentences in, my post was quickly spiraling into an assessment of my blog. And then a fond look back on my year of blogging. Then I found myself revisiting how blogging went for all of 2016. Then I realized I was completely off-topic. And so now here we are.
I feel like that happened a lot this month. I’d have something on my mind, and it would float away from me. Words wouldn’t be spoken, or I would remember what I wanted to say two or three hours later. I’d have intentions to do something, and somehow that thing would never materialize. I would mentally create a list, and completely forget about those things for days. It was kind of frustrating. It was kind of fun. It was pretty much December 2017 for me.
Maybe this year wore me out? I don’t think so. But I do think that my mommy-brain has gone into hyper-drive. My focus is kind of all over the place, but my heart feels really settled. It feels completely focused. Mostly on my life. Especially on my family. This month was one of my favorites.
This is how I basically spent my month:
- Celebrate my baby’s baptism. She was baptized at the beginning of this month. SO happy for her. <3
- Make 4 new recipes. Rigatoni, crab pot pie, and Instant Pot salmon and tilapia. (<-Christmas gift!!!)
- Continue to toddler-proof the house. TOUGHER than it sounds…she keeps finding things I need to hide.
- Play some Christmas music on the piano. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” was my favorite.
Read “A Christmas Carol” by Dickens.I looked at a Dickens-inspired statue. Does that count?
- Bake Christmas cookies. We baked and decorated sugar cookies…one of my favorite Christmas traditions!
- Finish my two knitting projects. I finished the stocking but not the turban. Still working on it…
- Mail out Christmas cards! The photo was a Christmas miracle, but we got them all sent out. haha
- Wrap presents. I might have had to wrap a few on Christmas Eve. But we did it!
- Spend my very favorite holiday with my very favorite people. Some of my favorite 2017 memories!
But I can’t really cheer myself on for doing 9/10 of my to-do list items. Like I mentioned earlier, I specifically gave myself the easiest, lightest to-do list in the history of to-do lists. I don’t think I should have even called this a to-do list. Although, maybe it’s good that I thought of it that way. Because it’s so easy to think everything we have to do is all the unfun things, and we forget how truly necessary the fun ones really are. At least I struggle with that. Anyway, this month, I’m thrilled that I did almost my entire list, because they were fun things that I really wanted to do. And January will come with more adulting than the last four months combined, so I was blest with the chance to take time off and smell the snow. flowers. the spanish moss. the Christmas tree? Moving on…
I don’t feel like I’m ready to say goodbye to 2017, or even just December 2017. So I will save that for my end-of-the-year post. But I guess for now I will just enjoy my last few days of December 2017, and will see you in my yearly round-up. Thanks for stopping by!