You’ve seen the sales. It’s all too tempting. Though there are remarkably less piles of merchandise spilling out of stores the day or two after Christmas, they’re still there. And they’re calling you. Or at least, they are definitely calling me. And every year I’m faced with the same opportunity to make a mature decision, or just blow all my money on sales. The thing is, how are you benefiting from a “sale” if you are buying things you don’t need? Sure, they are discounted. But if you don’t need them, are you really doing yourself a service? I say in some circumstances, yes! These are things that I think you can easily (and in good conscience) purchase post-Christmas:
- Wrapping paper, tissue paper, bows, string, etc. Even if you can’t use the wrapping paper til Christmas, you won’t regret having beautiful new rolls of it lying in wait under your Christmas ornament bins. There is nothing wrong with having a good supply of this, especially if you’re The Wrapping Paper Police.
- Ornaments, wreaths, baubles, etc. I know you probably already have enough decorations, but then again, is there ever enough? Christmas decorations actually do come in “styles” and sometimes your style might go-out so to speak and won’t be readily available next year! Point in case…look at popular pinterest pins this year. They won’t be the same in a year or two from now. So if that canvas-feather anthropologie-vibe woodland animal ornament collection is your thing, buy it. Because next year we might be doing vibrant jewel-toned trees and decor.
- Christmas gifts! If you haven’t exchanged gifts with someone, as crazy as that sounds, then buy their gift after Christmas. Depending on the gift, there is a likelihood that it will be on sale. And even though you’ve probably given almost everyone their Christmas gift…you still may have one or two people that you haven’t seen yet that you’re planning to give to. Now’s the time to get their present!
- Warm-weather gear. This only applies to my northern friends. 🙂 Often the warm-weather clothing/accessories goes on sale after the holidays because everyone has had a crack at giving it as gifts. But the cold weather has only just begun! Buy it now because you’ll still be wearing it two months from now.
- Last but (duh!) not least…MAKEUP! All the sparkles and special-edition makeup, nail polish, and hair accessories are out right now. And many of them are on sale. Get the glitter now because the spring is for clean and fresh colors. Later on in the summer, you’ll want to start pulling out the sun-kissed sparkles, and now is your chance to stock up.
Things NOT to buy. More toys, just because they are on sale. You bought enough already. More kitchen gadgets, just because they are on sale. Your kitchen is full enough. Christmas potpourri or scented gifts. They will lose their scent before next Christmas. (CANDLES ARE LIFE AND THEY ARE THE EXCEPTION TO THIS). Perishable Christmas foods–mixes, kits, and tins of goodies. These are fun in small, time-appropriate doses. You won’t want to make a gingerbread house in March, so you don’t need to buy another kit just because it’s on sale. That stuff will taste better (and be fresher) next year when it’s been 11 months since you last had it.
Then again, the whole point of shopping is to have fun and get things. And the whole point of a sale is to feel good doing that! So with that in mind, hit those sales and tell me what you picked up. 🙂